For all of my legal drinking years (I won’t say how long because it’ll make me feel old), I have never seen a word have such a visceral reaction from people. You can probably guess by the title of this blog the word I am talking about.
You guessed it — It’s all about Tequila. People either absolutely love this bold flavor of the liquor, or they hate it, and I find there is very little in between. Personally, I am a huge fan of this delectable beverage, so when given the opportunity to write about one of my favorite spirits, how could I pass it up? But, with that being said, I took a lot of time to really dig into the history, the culture, and the ups and downs of this particular beverage. I’ve gotta tell you, I was quite surprised to find new information I didn’t know. With that being said, grab your Margarita, (no salt for me, thanks), and let’s talk about my go-to liquor, Tequila.
Facts About Tequila You Probably Didn’t Know
While most people tend to know a lot of the surface information about tequila, such as pairing it with a lemon or lime or a sprinkle of salt, I find there is so much more to talk about. For instance, did you know that in Mexico, shots of tequila traditionally don’t come with the little extras I just mentioned? Or how about the Agave plant is actually part of the lily family, NOT the cactus.
One of my favorite little-known facts about tequila might surprise you. All tequila is mezcal, but not all Mezcal is Tequila. Made from Agave, Mezcal is distilled in Mexico, and Tequila is made from Blue Agave in the Appellation of Origin.
Here’s a fun one to potentially blow your mind. Worms are PROHIBITED in Tequila bottles. Yes, you read that correctly. By law, the Agave Snout Weevil or the Caterpillar phase of the Agavis-Moth cannot be in Tequila bottles but can be in Mezcal.
How To Drink Tequila
Now, I know what you’re thinking–Shannon, we KNOW how to drink tequila. I hear you, I do, but I’ve come across some interesting things you might not know that will drastically improve your tequila drinking game.
- Open the bottle, salt your wrist, shoot, and suck on that lime. That’s the way I’ve always done it, but to be honest, there are other ways to enjoy straight tequila. While I do love a good round of shots, did you know it’s perfectly acceptable to drink tequila on the rocks as a sipper? In fact, if you’re wanting to avoid the extra calories a margarita inevitably comes with, but still want to enjoy this drink, this might be the best option for you.
- I’ve also done a little experimenting for you, and let me tell you folks, I’ve found a doozy. Let’s say you’re not a fan of just straight tequila. We understand that, it can be a kick in the face. With fall just around the corner, have you thought about pairing it with your favorite cider? I know it sounds strange, but I’ve got to tell you; it’s absolutely incredible. I did the taste testing so you don’t have to, and I give it a solid 9.5/10!
- My favorite category and one I could talk about for hours. Mixed cocktails are some of my favorite party drinks of all time. While I do enjoy a good cranberry and vodka from time to time, I also seem to come back to tequila and it’s bolder than life flavors and incredible pairings. My current favorite is a Tequila Sunrise Mimosa. The combination of pineapple juice, orange juice, and tequila makes this breakfast drink an all day affair if you let it.
- While this next drink is on my bucket list to try, I’ll be honest, I haven’t worked up the nerve. It’s not because of the tequila, but instead the addition of club soda. Thankfully, my best friend in the world and partner in crime here at Drinkable Gifts just got back from Mexico and bought me a bottle of my favorite brand of tequila (Pictured Above). With some grapefruit juice, lime juice, club soda, and this bottle of tequila, my next Friday night is going to be incredible with the Paloma mixed cocktail.
- Who doesn’t love a margarita? With so many options to choose from, everyone of legal drinking age should be able to sit back and relax with one. For those that don’t like lemon lime, have you tried Mango? If you’re like me and don’t like salt on the rim, you can replace it with sugar!
- As I mentioned, I just received a rather large bottle of tequila, and while I’m hesitant to try the Paloma, this frozen drink I’m about to tell you about is NOT one I’m freezing up on trying. (See what I did there?). This frozen drink is called a Watermelon Tequila Slush, and is perfect to say hello to summer for the year. All you need is watermelon, tequila, lime juice, and ice!
The Best Tequila Gifts for Tequila Lovers
I’m not going to lie, readers. I get a little jealous of the plethora of unique and fun gifts available for our whiskey and bourbon-drinking friends. Tequila sometimes gets the short end of the stick when it comes to gifts, but fear not, I’ve done my research so you don’t have to.
- My first and FAVORITE option has to be our Tequila Tales Gift Set. Celebrate the Day of the Dead and remember loved ones with silky and peppery KAH Blanco Tequila in a themed Skull Bottle; or appease the devil inside with a bottle of smoky Caramel, Raisins, and Vanilla layered bottle of Patron Anejo. Both of these tequilas are absolutely devine and the unique skull bottle makes for a perfect keepsake.
- If your recipient is into clear or silver tequila, might I recommend our Crystal Love Set? You’ll receive both a bottle of Absolut Vodka, as well as a bottle of one of my favorites 1800 Silver. Smooth, delicious, and versatile, this gift is perfect for literally anyone in your life.
- Looking for something a little more put together? Don’t worry fam, I’ve got you covered. Our Margarita Cocktail Gift Set comes with EVERYTHING your loved one needs to make their weekend just a little bit better. This basket comes with Patron (the best!), Grand Marnier, 2 Fresh Limes, and a salt grinder. What could be better?
How To Make A Delicious Margarita
We think you should know that there really is no wrong way to make a margarita. Whether you like it frozen, on the rocks, with mango, or with a sugar rim, there are hundreds of different varieties for you to choose from.
Tequila– Every great margarita starts with a delicious tequila. Whether you prefer the taste of bold gold or the smoothness of silver, choose a tequila that is right for your individual drink. We suggest something mid-range for these -Save the high end for sipping.
Mixers- A lot of your variety is going to come from this ingredient. While some people swear by triple sec for their main mixer, others prefer combining their own with orange liqueur and lime juice. You can also use a premade margarita mix from the store or add some frozen strawberries. You can use fresh strawberries or other fruits, but that’s going to add to your prep time.
Additions- As noted above, strawberries are a common addition to the world of margaritas, but did you know there are literally hundreds of other options out there? Almost any fruit will enhance your margarita game. Our personal favorites are mango, peach, and kiwi. If you want to think outside the box, why not add a hot pepper? You can steep your tequila with halved peppers, or just rub the rim of your glass with the hot pepper before applying salt! You can also take your margarita game to the next level by adding beer, Grand Marnier (Instead of Triple Sec), or Blue Curacao.
Ice and Salt/Sugar- You’ll need your ice for both frozen and on the rocks, and while optional, we find coating your rim in either salt or sugar really magnifies the flavors of your margarita.
How to make one serving:
1.5oz of Tequila
1oz of Triple Sec (You can swap with Grand Marnier in this step)
3/4oz of Lime Juice (Freshly Squeezed if possible)
If you’re making these on the rocks, simply combine your ingredients, shake well, and pour over a salt-rimmed glass of ice.
But what about all of those additions we mentioned? We didn’t forget about them, and we think you’re going to love these additional steps you can take.
Instead of pouring your drink over ice, add your ingredients to a blender with ice. Add frozen berries, fresh fruit, or flavored syrup.
If you’re looking for a larger batch of this delicious cocktail, here are the amounts you’ll need for your next get-together. This one is super easy if you apply the 3-2-1 ratio!
How to make a pitcher:
3 cups of Tequila
2 cups of Triple Sec (or any orange liqueur)
1cup of Lime Juice (Freshly Squeezed if possible)- Approximately, 8 limes.
Follow the same directions above for both on the rocks, and for blended, and you have the perfect pitcher of margaritas to share with your friends and loved ones.
Whether you like to shake things up with something new and unique, or you’re perfectly comfortable sticking with the classics, grab a bottle of tequila and recreate this iconic cocktail for years to come.
You’ve learned a ton about Tequila. Now what?
- Send a bottle of Tequila
- Learn even more with our blog
- Sign up for new blog announcements and exclusive subscriber savings!
Shannon Youngblood is a thirty-something blog writer who has an affinity for falling and an extreme love for dachshunds, Dr. Who, and musicals. She loves to write, regardless of the subject matter, and she wishes everyday could be Halloween! Although she was born and raised in the United States, her lifelong goal is to retire somewhere in Europe with her husband, her books, and a cup of hot coffee.